Saturday, March 3, 2007

Zenit U415 DHT Preamplifier

Zenit U415 DHT preamplifier

Zenit U415 Direct Heat Triode Preamplifier in Choke load configuration.

My original idea is to build Telefunken RE134 preamplifier but after I finished it I found that my tube is weak because it is used tube and I didn't have any tube tester to test it before I use. So I change my configuration to support Zenit U415 that it's very close construction and specification. So I need to change some operating point from 250V supply to 150V and the current is down from 10mA to 5mA . So final configuration is below.
* Preamplifier tube is Phillips ( Zenit ) U415 run in LC configuration.
* Anode choke is Lnaudio ( Electraprint ) 100H 20mA
* Rectifier tube is Phillips AZ2
* U415 filarment is using 2 stage LM317T 1st stage is voltage regulator and 2nd stage is current regulator

U415 preamp schematics

Sound is very good , It's natural sound , a lot of detail , good dynamic , good in both high and low. When I using this preamplifier with R120 it's very good match better than #26 and Bas , I never like R120 sound until I use this preamp with R120 that drive by ML-6. Now I love my R120 very much after its found the match preamp. But when I use this preamp with my F2A PP it's to much high.

Telefunken RE134 using Telefunken AZ1 Mesh plate as rectifier

So what about TFK RE134 sound , because my tube is weak its can run over 10mA so I use with 7mA configuration . the sound is more smooth but less detail than U415 but I'm not sure about the accuracy of the tube so I need to find new pair.


No comments: